Sunday, June 1, 2008

The trials and tribulations of Gus...

Once again, veterinary medicines wonder dog Gus, needed to make a trip to see the vet. This time he managed to scratch at his ear until giving himself a hematoma. Oh, did I mention the is the second time in three years that he has developed this affliction. Anyway, he had to go under sedation to have his ear drained and sutured. This is a feat of strength in and of itself due to the fact that Gus weighs in at 139 lbs. So after being home for 48 hours recovering, I noticed his ear was swelling up again.

So on our second trip to the vets office we decided to reopen the incision and drain out any other fluid inside. When we saw the mess underneath his bandages, we decided to put him on antibiotics as well. Just a side note, Gus hates taking pills. Hates it! He cannot be fooled with any conventional methods. Bread ball....Nope. Cheese....Nope. Peanut Butter....Nada. You get the idea. So I have to "pill" him. "Pilling" means holding his head back, forcing open those jaws, and poking the medicine down his throat with my finger... while wrestling the beast. Fun for the whole family.

Last but not least, we go back to the vet one last time to recheck and re wrap his ear to his noggin. My coworker and myself hold Gus and keep him distracted while the doc looks over his patient. Just as my vet is telling me that his ear seems to have a tiny bit more fluid in it.......IT ERUPTS!!! That's right. Squirts blood and puss all over my shirt, arm, shorts, leg and shoes. It was like a scene out of a horror movie. Luckily it didn't seem to bother Gus at all. Anyway, the boy is feeling much better and even wanted to pose for a few pics. Look at those sad eyes....


No comments: