Wednesday, December 26, 2007

So this is Christmas...

I was on my way back from the airport on Saturday, complaining to myself about the holiday traffic and the madness that accompanies it, when I decided to take a detour. I had my camera with me, so I thought I might go exploring in downtown for a while. Ten minutes into my journey I came across this man on the sidewalk, rifling through a garbage can on the corner of Peachtree St. He looked every bit of 70 years old, shivering in his hospital scrub pants and ill-fitting slippers. I snapped this photo without really thinking and drove on to my next stop. It wasn't until I got home and looked at my shots again that I thought about this old man. Mostly the fact that he would be spending his Holiday, on the streets of Atlanta. Despite all of my complaining about this holiday season, I tried to keep things in perspective. This Christmas was particularly stressful...but in the grand scheme of things, I was actually quite lucky. I got to spend time with the people who matter most, eat entirely too much food, selfishly tear into presents, and I have a wonderful place to lay my head at the end of the day. I just wanted to express my gratitude to all of you (you know who you are) for all that you do.

No comments: